Saturday, August 29, 2009

What next?

So, I've been gone for two & 1/2 days. When we left she was alert and talking rationally. Today we got home and I went straight to the hospital. She's back to being sleepy all the time and talking nonsense!
We did receive good news while we were gone. There is no cancer!!! Hooray! Dr. Yu told me they were sending her back to Rio Hondo Subaccute & Nursing Center yesterday and then he called a few hours later and told me that the Infectious Disease Dr. said no way! She's staying until we run a few more tests and find out what's going on!!! THANK YOU!!!! I guess in one of her tests she turned up with big TB cells! Yes, tuberculosis. The Infectious Dr. came in and asked her if she had ever been exposed to TB she said yes, her father had it and died when she was 6! Yes, she always tests positive with skin tests and has to have chest x-rays. So...tomorrow they are doing a bone marrow test on the lesion on her femor to see if it's TB! And if they can run bacterial tests on the marrow they won't have to do another biopsy of the lumps under her arm. They wanted to run them with the last biopsy, but when the lab didn't find any cancer, they through her goo out before bacterial tests could be run! So...that's where we are now. She's having more tests!
I had to grow a spine today and make the nurse give her vicadin. She's obviously in pain, but they ask her if she wants pain meds and she says no. So, I had a copy of her advance directive that says I can make decisions for her even if she's capable of making them herself, so I told the nurse to give it to her regardless of whether she said she wanted it or not. She did give it to her. Funny thing, an hour later the nurse came in and said, has she been in pain for this whole hour? (She was moaning!) We said yes and the nurse came in and shot her up with morphine!!! So there you have it. I still have the advance directive in hand and I will share it with her idiot Dr. Yu tomorrow because it also says to keep her pain free even if the medication hastens her death! DUH! I'm exhausted! I thought getting a way for two days would help. It did! Eddie just says I'm depressed when I return home!

No comments: