Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Not-so-fun Adventure!

So the adventure at the hospital began yesterday with us being there 2 hours early. It worked to our advantage, because it took them 2 hours to have her ready for her "procedure".
Her white blood cell count was high, so they had all kinds of questions for us, which kinda makes you wonder..."if we're supposed to have all the answers about elevated white blood cells, what's the point of having a hospital?"
ANYWAY! They took her off to radiology for the "procedure" at 1:30 p.m. (30 minutes late)!
I eventually left the hospital. I know this stuff takes anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I went back to the hospital at 3:00 p.m. I was told that she had just been moved to recovery.
I went back to outpatient daycare and talked with them. They made a few phone calls and said they were trying to get ahold of Dr. Shin. She the doctor that put in the fistula two years ago and the one that has done all the repairs over the last few years.
Dr. Grossman couldn't get the fistula to work again. They never got an answer from Dr. Shin, so they decided to put a new pick line in Mom's jugular! It's so NOT attractive. She hates it. She said last night she was taking it out today. I told her that wouldn't be happening.
This is just a temporary solution. I have no idea what they will end up doing. Maybe Dr. Shin can go in and roto rooter her fistula. If not, then she'll need a new one. You can't use the same artery, so it will either be in her other arm, or in one of her legs. This only speculation!
I have no idea what kind of time table we're looking at....because no doctor has seen or talked to her. It's ridiculous.
Too make an already retarded story, more retarded...
Radiology sent her back to outpatient daycare with two bandages over where they had attempted to work on her fistula.
She was sent home this way.
Of course when she got home, she started bleeding. If you apply direct pressure to one bandaid the other one spurts!!!!
Eddie and I ran to Walgreen's and got some gauze and a secure flex wrap to try and stop the bleeding. I wasn't about to remove their precious bandaids, so I just put everything on top of them. One of them bled a little through the night, but not through all the bandages!

They also sent us home without any instructions for pain!

The only thing it says on the paper they sent us home with is ...resume all medication.

Any questions call: and they gave a number. When she was uncomfortable last night, I called that number to get some instruction for pain killers. The phone number is for the hospital lab! They idiot who answered the phone didn't have a clue what I was talking about and wanted to send me to social services. I hung up on him. I called Dr. Shin's number and got a recording saying that everyone at the Doctor's answering service was busy and if it was an emergency to call 911 otherwise hangup and try again later.

I dug up a bottle of pain killers Dr. Shin had prescribed several "procedures" ago. Mom decided she didn't want any. She made it through the night. Her neck is really bothering her right now. We've asked if she wants pain meds and she says no. She also doesn't want to eat this time.

That's the update!

No comments: